[Scribus] Create intiative

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger
Sun Oct 23 22:08:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 13:29 +0200, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 06:45, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> > Better would be if someone just created a distro or graphic design live
> > CD with relevant apps patched to have similar key bindings, similar
> > menus, common folders for brushes, good fonts that Just Work across
> > apps, etc. The project would mostly be maintenance of a collection of
> > patches against applications.
>
> Completely irrelevant, this is about distros providing this package as a
> dependency of the "artistic" (graphics, media, etc) apps for common usage.

Uh, no, both from the Newsforge article and the FAQ, the emphasis is
clearly on standardization and specifications as their work product, not
"packages."

My statement was that it would be more productive to provide something
visable, usable, testable to users rather than discussions and
specifications (though those are important to arrive at the testable
product and to describe the end result post facto). That way regular
users can participate by making feature requests and bug reports.

Why would that not be relevant?

If you are only looking at it as infrastructure stuff (common brushes,
color information, etc), I can see your point. But common keybindings,
mentioned both in the article and the FAQ is common user interface in my
book, not infrastructure. And I think getting commonalities across UIs
is a very laudable goal. Whether they have it clearly in mind is not
100% clear, I will grant.

-- John.