[Scribus] Create intiative

Craig Bradney cbradney
Sun Oct 23 13:29:13 CEST 2005

On Sunday 23 October 2005 06:45, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 01:59 +0200, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > for everybody interested in the future of DTP/graphics applications on
> > the Linux desktop, a very interesting introduction to the Create
> > initiative has been published on Newsforge:
> >
> > http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/10/11/2055236.shtml?tid=132&tid
> >=75
> >
> > As it seems, the initiative addresses some important points and
> > obstacles in Linux/FOSS productivity applications.
>
> It's an interesting idea making graphics programs more interoperable by
> using common directories for brushes, and using the same hotkeys for the
> same functions among other things.
>
> I think for it to work it really deserves a project though, with actual
> releases. A bunch of guys on mailing list blowing hot air isn't going to
> achieve the goal.

Err there is a project. create.freedesktop.org

> Better would be if someone just created a distro or graphic design live
> CD with relevant apps patched to have similar key bindings, similar
> menus, common folders for brushes, good fonts that Just Work across
> apps, etc. The project would mostly be maintenance of a collection of
> patches against applications.

Completely irrelevant, this is about distros providing this package as a
dependency of the "artistic" (graphics, media, etc) apps for common usage.

> If it was executed properly and took off, the upstream projects might
> accept the patches. And if they don't, well a fork doesn't really seem
> necessary for front end patches. But I'll bet other distributions would
> accept such patches.

Its not about forking, as above its about providing a common set of colour
swatches, brushes, etc etc etc that we will all use. Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus,
Krita, Cinepaint etc etc.

Craig