[Scribus] Another book done with Scribus...

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Oct 21 23:49:49 CEST 2005

Paraplegic Racehorse schrieb:

> Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> I have to agree completely. If there aren't a full two lines (plus any
> partial line at end of paragraph) at either end of a page or column, it
> interferes with my reading "rythm" and reduces my overall comprehension
> significantly. Exception: Single line paragraphs, but these are a
> general linguistic (English) no-no, anyway, so they are fairly uncommon.
>

>>They were all made by talented graphics artists, who obviously never
>>bothered to learn the "boring" and everything but spectacular details
>>of typography :(
>

> As one of those people who is really not very interested in the
> un-spectacular details of typography, I am highly unlikely to study
> them. That said, I admit to have learned quite a bit just by reading
> this list! Osmosis?

That would be a nice side effect. I think one of the appealing aspects
of Scribus is that people can learn a lot of interesting things about
printing, fonts, typography etc. Moreover, if you read Peter Linell's
manual carefully, your knowledge will exceed that of many people in the
design/layout world. And it can save a lot of money ... :)

> Anyway, anything I produce longer than about two pages goes to somebody
> else (friend, relative, anyone not directly involved in the project) for
> proofing and overall readability-opinion before getting marked
> "production ready." I have been known to completely rework a project
> based these non-professional reviews.

Very good! Always think about readers. Letting (non-professional) others
judge your work is almost as good (sometimes perhaps better) than
blindly following the "rules".

Cheers,

Christoph