[Scribus] Character-by-character placement in PDF

Andreas Vox avox
Wed Oct 19 23:16:12 CEST 2005

Craig wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2005 22:32, Phil Hughes wrote:
> > This post is really about who might also be concerned about this
> > apparant inefficiency and, beyond that, who might be interested in
> > helping with a solution. Concern, at this point, is more important
> > that help. If there is no concern than maybe I have missed
> > something--that is, maybe this isn't really a problem.
>
> To take it to its most simplest point: Its a known issue. We might try
> change it sooner, but I very much doubt that any work on this will
> even be
> attempted, or worthwhile, before our new styles and text system arrive.

I want to support Craig here and maybe give some more details.

It might be possible to implement your request in the old text system,
but there are three reasons against it:
a) it would take developer time
b) the solution would not be usable for the new text system
c) it would have to be tested thoroughly before released.

With 99% certainty we will implement it your way in the new text system.

There might be a case for implementing it in the old text system if the
current way would hit users really, REALLY, *REALLY* bad. But that's
not the case because otherwise we'd implemented it a long time ago :-)

So, it's not forgotten, but you'll have to wait some time before you
see it in Scribus.

/Andreas