[Scribus] Can anybody explain KDE/qt3 situation?

Benjamin Green ben
Sun Oct 16 21:57:06 CEST 2005

> Ok, there's some kind of issue with libqt3--I've seen references to
> this. I
> probably could get around this by compiling. However, in my experience,
> when
> I try doing these REALLY REALLY EASY compile operations, it often means
> hours of hair-tearing. Isn't there ANY binary deb package that works with
> KDE 3.3.2 or higher?
>
> Is there an article on the Wiki that can explain what's going on in
> terrms
> that an idiot can understand? (I'm definitely not a newbie to
> Linux--just an
> idiot)
>
> John

KDE, qt and the whole kaboodle (including kaboodle itself) have been
updated since the last mepis release. When you ask for scribus, things
need to be removed to satisfy it's dependancies. You will be able to
re-install all of KDE (3.4.2) and Koffice (1.3.5) after that, if you use
the debain sid at least, but it might not all be plain sailing anyway,
things have changed a lot since the last mepis release. I can't vouch for
the state of testing. You might be able to get less removals by
specifieing packages to also install, e.g. 'apt-get install scribus kde'.
That last release of MEPIS was from before the current release of debian
stable (that is when sarge was testing and etch was just a twinkle), so
things have moved on a lot since then.

Ben Green