[Scribus] xpdf produced by scribus seems not OK

Kite Lau kitelau
Sun Oct 16 03:33:13 CEST 2005

? 2005-10-15?? 22:39 +0200?PLinnell???
> On Saturday 15 October 2005 18:34, Kite Lau wrote:
> > I created a simple product sheet with scribus 1.3.1 and then
> > exported it to a xpdf file. However when I tried to print the xpdf
> > to hpo laserjet 3015, the printer reset and nothing was printed
> > then. If I exported to 1.5 pdf, everything was great though.
>
> Specs of the printer:
>
> "HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, postscript level 2 emulation"
>
> That in itself may be an issue.

I use Adobe reader 7.0.1 linux version. When I printed, I did select
"postscript 2" option on the printing dialog of the reader. And the
driver of the printer I used is postcript which is recommanded by
linuxprinting.org.

> This is a relatively harmless message caused by Type 1 fonts which are
> less than perfect.
>
> I've only seen this in a couple of cases. Please do a "collect for
> output" include the fonts and attach that in a bug at:
> http://bugs.scribus.net

I will do that.

> I am assuming you meant PDF/X-3.
>
> If you did - don't do that. ;)
>
> PDF/X-3 is a special variant of PDF and should *only* be used when a
> commercial printer can use it.

Oh sorry, I mean PDF/X-3. I think I will use 1.5 PDF only for my own
printer.

> Can you print from Acrobat Reader 5 or 7 ?

I tested and found that Adobe Reader 7 under windows printed the above
said pdf/x-3 file fine. While the linux version of it did not print
because of printer reset. I wonder whether this is because the
postscript (espgs-8.15rc4 here) does not handle pdf/x-3.

> Try exporting a PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5) file and print that from within
> Acrobat Reader.

Yes this is working fine.