[Scribus] More on Xara and Inkscape

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Oct 15 16:46:05 CEST 2005

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Very interesting article on Newsforge:
>
> http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/05/10/13/1941236.shtml?tid=138&tid=131
>
> Looks like Xara and Inkscape will be cooperating closely in the future.

I'd say it's as interesting for what it doesn't say as much as it does
say. What it does say focuses on development of a method for
interchanging file formats, perhaps to some extent to increase the
viability of the .xar format, which now is in its own noninterchangeable
world. Whether intended or not, I get a sense of desperation on Xara's
part, that they are realizing that the best software doesn't always win
when you start bumping against the established leaders (of market share).

Even if this file interchangeability comes about, it's hard to imagine
them being able to abandon the .xar format -- intuitively it seems there
is more information in them than an .svg (for example) can handle.  On
the other hand, if anyone can take a .xar and load it into other
software (like Inkscape, Scribus...), or have a standalone transformtion
tool, that's a major leap for them.

Greg