[Scribus] Splitting up the properties palette?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Oct 14 19:34:18 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

Peter ?uhalev schrieb:

> Hello,
> I'm pretty new here, but still. Maybe a function where one could freely
> distribute his tabs as he likes would be nice.

I don't think that's a bad idea. However, it should be an option. As
mentioned in earlier postings, the GIMP way might the right one: Having
the current set of items as default, and the option to add new tabs. I
specifically think about the items in the "Windows" menu.

> Otherwise the properties pallet as it is now has a usefull and wierd
> feeling at the same time. It's wierd that the things just constantly
> disappear. I don't know, but I used to use a lot of Indesign,
> Illustrator is still on my screen most of the time and I find their
> properties on the right really functional. Maybe that's just my logic
> now. Otherwise I'm learning also Quark and Scribus now. I've made a few
> things in Scribus till now and I must say that the concept of DTP is
> good. Scribus lacks none of the stuff that they have. I'd say that only
> functionaly and easy usability is still need of improvement.

Actually, I think Scribus usability is already very good. The perception
of usability has a lot to do with habits and training. If you are used
to InDesign, you will find QXP and Scribus less usable, if you are
trained with GIMP, you will dislike the Photoshop GUI etc.

> If there is a way to build your own window with tabs I'd like to know
> how :) Otherwise if I can help with a relative setup of buttons maybe
> someone can try and code them and see if they are anything more usefully
> rearranged and grouped as before.
>
> Also I'd have a question, I have a presentational flyer made in Scribus
> with lots of objects. By eye i'd say at least 200, and the thing is that
> i find Scribus being slow in digesting the whole image. Text that gets
> imported needs like half a minute to show itself. Is there a solution to
> quicker seeing of things. Maybe a low-res preview inside that would
> nullified the gradient and objects down to simple wireframes or smt.?

It depends. If you are using 1.2x, the preview resolution cannot be
changed. This feature was introduced in 1.3x. If you don't mind working
with a development version of Scribus, you should have a look.

> long mail.
> thanks for reading and your answers
> Peter ?uhalev

Cheers,