[Scribus] Splitting up the properties palette?

Peter Čuhalev skatey
Fri Oct 14 19:08:45 CEST 2005

Wesley Allen wrote:

>Gustavo Homem wrote:
>

>>On Friday 14 October 2005 01:49, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,

>>>Hmmm, what does that mean? Do you really plan to remove one of the most
>>>appealing features of Scribus? I don't know how others feel about it,
>>>but at least to me the properties palette is one of the "killer
>>>features" of Scribus, some kind of powerful "command centre" for page
>>>items/frames. From a usability point of view, I think one of the
>>>advantages of Scribus is the combining of related features in one place
>>>(preferences, context menu, properties palette), which is a stark (and
>>>very welcome) contrast to software like QuarkXPress, where features are
>>>spread all over the GUI.
>>>
>>>And while I am at it: In case the properties palette can be saved, I
>>>would like to suggest getting somehow back to the layout as it is in
>>>1.2x with the respective items (X,Y,Z, Text etc.) on top of the palette.
>>>This is much more effective and user friendly than the current layout,
>>>at least in my personal view.
>>>

>>I agree, that the way it was on 1.2.x seems to be faster to use. Also I am
>>worried about the splitting of the pallete. Won't this cause too many windows
>>at once ? Or too much open/close actions to have fewer windows ?
>>

>When I did my presentation on Scribus at my LUG I dubbed the properties
>palette, "your best friend."  I love the thing.
>

>>Best regards
>>Gustavo

Hello,
I'm pretty new here, but still. Maybe a function where one could freely
distribute his tabs as he likes would be nice.

Otherwise the properties pallet as it is now has a usefull and wierd
feeling at the same time. It's wierd that the things just constantly
disappear. I don't know, but I used to use a lot of Indesign,
Illustrator is still on my screen most of the time and I find their
properties on the right really functional. Maybe that's just my logic
now. Otherwise I'm learning also Quark and Scribus now. I've made a few
things in Scribus till now and I must say that the concept of DTP is
good. Scribus lacks none of the stuff that they have. I'd say that only
functionaly and easy usability is still need of improvement.

If there is a way to build your own window with tabs I'd like to know
how :) Otherwise if I can help with a relative setup of buttons maybe
someone can try and code them and see if they are anything more usefully
rearranged and grouped as before.

Also I'd have a question, I have a presentational flyer made in Scribus
with lots of objects. By eye i'd say at least 200, and the thing is that
i find Scribus being slow in digesting the whole image. Text that gets
imported needs like half a minute to show itself. Is there a solution to
quicker seeing of things. Maybe a low-res preview inside that would
nullified the gradient and objects down to simple wireframes or smt.?

long mail.
thanks for reading and your answers
Peter ?uhalev