[Scribus] Splitting up the properties palette? (was: scribus 1.3.0.1 spin-box)

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Fri Oct 14 02:49:16 CEST 2005

Hi all,

In an answer to Karl Sinn, Craig Bradney wrote:

> No, its an issue with the current tabs implementation of the 1.3.0 properties
> palette. We have plans to split the palette so we are looking to fix up other
> things first.

Hmmm, what does that mean? Do you really plan to remove one of the most
appealing features of Scribus? I don't know how others feel about it,
but at least to me the properties palette is one of the "killer
features" of Scribus, some kind of powerful "command centre" for page
items/frames. From a usability point of view, I think one of the
advantages of Scribus is the combining of related features in one place
(preferences, context menu, properties palette), which is a stark (and
very welcome) contrast to software like QuarkXPress, where features are
spread all over the GUI.

And while I am at it: In case the properties palette can be saved, I
would like to suggest getting somehow back to the layout as it is in
1.2x with the respective items (X,Y,Z, Text etc.) on top of the palette.
This is much more effective and user friendly than the current layout,
at least in my personal view.

I would like to file a usability bug/RFE if the chances of survival of
the properties palette are more clear and others have posted their
opinion on the topic.

Cheers,

Christoph