[Scribus] large format printers

neil lewis neil
Tue Oct 11 12:25:37 CEST 2005

Hi Gustavo,

I have a Epson Stylus 3000, which is A2. It works perfectly on Linux,but
is quite an old model now, so the speed is not great. Also, it's only
four colour, so the colours can be a bit less subtle than the newer
seven colour printers. I've been looking for an upgrade myself, so I may
be of some help to you.

I have tested the Stylus Pro 7000 series (25" carriage, A1) seem to work
perfectly, and 9000 series (44" carriage). On these, everything is fully
supported, including paper cutting when I tested them. I was using SuSE
9.1 at  the time, so it's likely that there would be no problems at all
with any distro by now.

The speed of these depends upon the printing filter settings and the PC
or RIP used to run it. I've had a 7000 make a proof quality A1 in about
ten minutes  (720x720 dpi, 7-colour, bidirectional) but it could take
much longer if you used, for example 2880x1440, Unidirectional,
Interlaced. The 9000 was printing about 1 SqM/Hr at highest quality
settings, but would be much faster at proofing quality and with a faster
PC or RIP.

These printers have USB2 and Firewire interfaces (probably parallel too,
but I can't remember offhand) and I was using a quite low-powered PC to
test them - Duron 1200MHz/256MB RAM.

The Epson (125ml - 150Ml) inks for these can be had for about ?40 each.
I'm not aware of 3rd party carts for these at the moment (though for my
3000, I can get them for about ?5 each). Continuous ink kits are
available from Lyson and others so you can just attach 1L bottles, which
is much cheaper. I think the kits are about ?150 - ?200. Add your inks
to that of course. Lysons are around ?80 - ?120 per Litre depending on
whether or not they are the "archival" versions. They also make ink sets
with various different gamuts and also 7-ink greyscale sets, (which are
also supported on the CUPS drivers) if they are of interest to you.

The current 7000 series printers cost about ?1,500, the 9000 series
about ?2,500 I believe.

Hope that helps.

Neil Lewis, Gibsons Photography, London.