[Scribus] 1.2.3 / 1.2.4 / 1.3

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Tue Oct 4 01:11:41 CEST 2005

* stu seven <stu7seven at gmail.com> [2005-10-03 19:00:54 -0400]:

> *** Alex - excellent... thank you for answering.
> *** I wonder... you may know... will there be
> *** a newer release of Sarge, including any of
> *** the newer Scribus releases on CD already ?

New point releases of stable distribution are only supposed to address
security concerns. They will not update packages for other reasons to avoid
introduction of new bugs.

> *** This is the always best for me, as I don't have
> *** an internet connection for debian online upgrading.

Sorry, but you have to download scribus or scribus-cvs package somehow. If you
have access to a faster connection at work or at some friend's place you can
download only the package you need to get Scribus running and then install
those locally by using dpkg (dpkg -i package.deb). You can see what packages
Scribus requires you to have at
http://packages.debian.org/stable/graphics/scribus.

>  *** I did try a binary 1.2.3... but this caused me
> *** troubles with my computer... because, any
> *** unpacking or access of that file seemed to
> *** start some binary running... what would happen
> *** is my zip just start clicking, and couldn't complete
> *** the unpacking or moving, or whatever... no good :)
> *** Also I did try the day before a tar.gz, which unpacked,
> *** OK, but did not include a newer lib file... so I am trying
> *** today again... hopefully, a file called "diff" actually
> *** contains the new files needed ? I dont know yet.
>  *** Alex is a lucky fellow... debian and Scribus are tops !

Stu. It looks like you are new to the software building process under Linux.
There is nothing wrong with that. However, you can save yourself from a whole
lot of trouble by using pre-compiled packages like those I provide for Sarge.
That's why they are there for.

Regards,

Alex.