[Scribus] 1.2.3 / 1.2.4 / 1.3

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Mon Oct 3 00:29:50 CEST 2005

* stu seven <stu7seven at gmail.com> [2005-09-30 18:35:40 -0400]:

>  Since I have installed Scribus (from Debian)
> all these are newer... especially, I was interested
> in the OpenOffice Writer import... but, after
> several times trying to install this, too many
> libraries not with my Debian CDs.
>   Here is my question really... if I download
> all the required files, then, can I install these
> with my existing packages, or will they cause
> some conflict ? Could I for instance, make a
> little directory just for new packages, and
> still run my older applications ?
>   Sorry about this... Im sure it is a newbie
> question... but I don't want to ruin what is
> there already. Thanks to all Scribus developers...
> use it all the time... terrific.

Hello,

I'm the guy who makes Scribus debian packages, so I feel I am in a position to
answer your questions.

1. Please read the
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Scribus_on_Debian_GNU/Linux page. Add the
necessary source line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file and run "apt-get
update; apt-get install scribus" (or "apt-get install scribus-cvs for 1.3.x
series, or both). If apt tells you that it has to fetch more megabytes then
your connection can sustain in a reasonable amount of time then note which
packages it wants and download them on a faster connection. Then copy those
packages to your system and run "dpkg -i package_file.deb" for each one of
them as root. Using apt-get or its front-ends such as aptitude or synaptic is
the easy way. And your system will properly upgrade and maintain all the
packages if you use apt. I will make sure you can always get the most recent
Scribus packages from those repositories mentioned on wiki.

If you run into more problems please email me and I'll be happy to assist you.
I really want to keep Debian users of Scribus happy :)

Cheers,

Alex