[Scribus] How teaching hyphenation?

Ludi Maciel iludi
Wed Nov 30 16:42:48 CET 2005

Em Qua 30 Nov 2005 11:15, Louis Desjardins escreveu:

> This is an issue we're going to need to address anyhow, down the
> road. Is the Scribus Team in contact with OO.o devels as well? Let's
> face it: we will never ever get a hyphenation engine to achieve
> "perfect" hyphenation... (also considering the number of languages).
> There is a need for such a tool like "hyphenation exception". At the
> same time, there must also be a way to make the hyphenation engine to
> work better (in OO.o and in Scribus and anywhere else) without the
> help of the "exceptions". What I am saying is we have to work on both
> ends. It's clumsy, like in Quark, if we have to deal with so many
> exceptions that the list becomes endless.

I think you should contact the translator team of your language and try to
solve some of the mistakes. We can't duplicate efforts IMHO.
The dicts are created to be used with your own native language, the Scribus
doesn't use more than one hyphenation dict at time (am i right?) so you
always will get some problems with foreign words.

Whatever, you can use a hyphenation-expection dict with OO.o (maybe, with a
little hacking, in Scribus too). Very handful I think.

(English)
>1. Download and install the OpenOffice.org software:

> http://www.openoffice.org

 >2. Install two custom dictionaries for the Writer module. You can
> download those dictionaries here:

> http://www.editorium.com/ftp/OOoDictionaries.zip

> The first is an H&J dictionary based on the TeX H&J engine. The second
> is a customized hyphenation-exception dictionary. Installing these
> dictionaries vastly improves hyphenation and justification in Writer.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1718286586&sort=d&start=200

A googling should helps :-)

Bye
Ludi