[Scribus] Scribus fails to print or to write a PFD

russbucket russbucket
Fri Nov 25 21:24:56 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 08:07, David Bleil wrote:
> I was using Scribus 1.2.1  Build -ID: 08 under SuSE Linux 9.3 to write
> newsletters and everything worked perfectly. I print to an hp deskjet5650
> through the CUPS Driver.
>
> I decided to update to Novell/suse 10.0 (when will I ever learn). Scribus
> did not appear on the upgraded system so I installed the RPM  from the
> distribution DVD using YAST2.   What Installed was Scribus 1.2.2.1 but
> apparently something did not get updated. Scribus starts as usual and I can
> create and save a document (.sla format). However the document will not
> print. The error message "printing failed" is rather unhelpful. I looked in
> /var/log/messages and /var/log/cups-errors with no helpful information.
> Other applications such as OO writer print fine.
>
> Scribus 1.2.2.1 will not create the PFD file wither. Message reads "can not
> write file" .
>
> Selecting  Help>about Scibus brings up a blank box where as formerly it
> produced a logo and information about the version and build. My linux skill
> level is beginner so I stick to using RPM's and stable builds. Given these
> constraints do you have any suggestions about how I can fix this problem?
I am using the same version of Scribus under SuSE 10.0 Retail version
installed from the DVD. I am able to open a .sla file, save it as a PDF with
no problem. When I try to print the pdf it will not print thru CUPS from
either KPDF or KGhostview. I have two printers, an HP Laser Jet IIIP and an
EPSON CX6600. I can print the pdf file to the HP but it will not come out as
Landscape, only Portrait. The PDF will not print to the EPSON.The cups server
is detecting a client error.  My CUPS server and client are version
1.1.23.21. I cannot open any PDF files in Adobe Reader 7.0. They all tell me
I have a permission problem even though I changed nothing in these documents
that worker with ver 6.X. Have not had much time to look at that. I had all
this working correctly on SuSE9.1.
--
Russ