[Scribus] Scribus fails to print or to write a PFD

PLinnell mrdocs
Thu Nov 24 17:40:42 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 November 2005 17:07, David Bleil wrote:
> I was using Scribus 1.2.1  Build -ID: 08 under SuSE Linux 9.3 to
> write newsletters and everything worked perfectly. I print to an hp
> deskjet5650 through the CUPS Driver.
>
> I decided to update to Novell/suse 10.0 (when will I ever learn).
> Scribus did not appear on the upgraded system so I installed the
> RPM  from the distribution DVD using YAST2.   What Installed was
> Scribus 1.2.2.1 but apparently something did not get updated.
> Scribus starts as usual and I can create and save a document (.sla
> format). However the document will not print. The error message
> "printing failed" is rather unhelpful. I looked in
> /var/log/messages and /var/log/cups-errors with no helpful
> information. Other applications such as OO writer print fine.
>
> Scribus 1.2.2.1 will not create the PFD file wither. Message reads
> "can not write file" .
>
> Selecting  Help>about Scibus brings up a blank box where as
> formerly it produced a logo and information about the version and
> build. My linux skill level is beginner so I stick to using RPM's
> and stable builds. Given these constraints do you have any
> suggestions about how I can fix this problem?

Hi,

1. Remove Scribus via yast.

2) Download the Scribus 1.2.3 rpm from here for Suse 10:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scribus/scribus-1.2.3-1.1.suse100.i686.rpm?download

Open a console: cd to scribus-1.2.3-1.1.suse100.i686.rpm

su
(enter root password)

rpm -ivh ./scribus-1.2.3-1.1.suse100.i686.rpm

close console

This should work without a hitch.

Scribus 1.2.3 and 1.2.4cvs is *very* stable on Suse 10.

Cheers,

Peter
Former Catboat Owner