[Scribus] font manager

PLinnell mrdocs
Wed Nov 23 21:42:58 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 19:13, Creolophus WC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know, if there are any font managers, like
> Suitcase, in Linux (preferably free!)
>
> if not, is it difficult to write one?
>
> thank you

Hi,

Seconding Craig Ringer's reply, which I won't copy. I only add a
couple of things:

1) Having used Adobe ATM, Font Reserve and Suitcase, I now much prefer
the X-Windows + Fontconfig way of doing things. It is far easier to
either a: drop your fonts in $/home/.fonts and let fontconfig find
them or b: if you need a point and click install/remove application
let konqueror and kfontinstaller do the work.

An example of how to use konqueror and kfontinstaller here:

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=fonts4

The magic of kfontinstaller is that is also automagically will create
Ghostscript Fontmap files which allows Ghostscript to access and use
your added fonts.

Nothing else I have tried on Linux works easier or quicker.

I comfortably manager 2000+ fonts on my system and keep between
300-750 fonts active, not for performance or stability reasons, just
so I don't have to wade through huge menus of fonts.

Cheers,

Peter