[Scribus] Scribus in the News: Pantone and free software

Steven Boothe steven.boothe
Tue Nov 22 08:23:33 CET 2005

Pantone and free software
Monday November 21, 2005 (07:00 PM GMT)
By: Nathan Willis

   Printer-friendly   Email story
Over the years, I've observed that for every favorable review written
about the GIMP or other free graphics applications, there is another
review denouncing it as useless because "it doesn't support Pantone."
Although I've accepted this is how the universe works, it's worth noting
that the unfavorable articles are generally accompanied by some
misconceptions about what Pantone is and isn't used for, and the
legality of supporting it.

Misconceptions about the purpose and usage of Pantone are to be
expected, since very few graphic designers are regular Linux users (much
less coders). The legal issues, on the other hand, are probably kept
intentionally murky by Pantone to discourage others from competing.
Let's take a look at both.

We don't buy colors, we buy peace of mind
Newsforge: http://tinyurl.com/da635