[Scribus] Importing OO2 Spreadsheet Graphs into Scribus

Nik scribus
Mon Nov 7 08:40:39 CET 2005

Hi Julian,

> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:47:24 +0000
> From: Julian Robbins <julian.robbins at q-par.com>
> Subject: [Scribus] Importing OO2 Spreadsheet Graphs into Scribus
> To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
>
> Hi
>
> I'm struggling finding a good way of importing (as a vector preferably)
> an OO2 spreadsheet graph into Scribus 1.2.3
>
> I can't cut and paste; I tried exporting just the graph as a SVG but
> this seems to try and export the whole spreadsheet, which is far too
> much for Scribus to cope with.

Ok, what I do is select the graph in OO calc (spreadsheet), and
copy-n-paste it into OO Draw, and then export to a scribus-recognised
format from OO Draw.

OO Draw supports multiple export formats: EPS, SVG, PDF, etc.

So far, when importing into Scribus, my best results have been using
EPS. To import SVG containing text, I have had to convert all text to
paths (Inkscape does this with a single command). However, I have still
had problems with some pieces of text being huge, misplaced or unfindable.

If you are going to import as EPS but still want to edit the graph
before importing it, you can export it from OO Draw into SVG, edit it
with Inkscape, and then 'Save As' in Inkscape to EPS.

> I tried importing a OO2 created sxd file, but that doesn't seem to work
> for me either, it won't import into Scribus at all.

You're on the right track. You need to export from OO2 sxd into a
scribus-recognised format. As mentioned above, EPS has fewer problems
than SVG.

As I recently found out, you can import EPS into scribus as *either*
vector data, or raster data. The raster data is *much* smaller inside
scribus, and much more easily manipulated (scaled, positioned, etc). The
vector representation consumes large amounts of memory within scribus,
and causes the scribus file to become very large. The benefit is that
the result can be edited using the scribus vector tools.

To import EPS as raster, create an image frame, and use "Right-Click |
Get Pictire", and select your EPS.

To import EPS as vector, select "File | Import | EPS". The result is a
new frame containing the vector information.

*Note: I have found that the scribus 1.3.2cvs snapshot is significantly
better and faster at manipulating (scaling, positioning) EPS vector data.

> I really need a solution, otherwise I can't see I that I can convince
> others where I work, that this is a better solution than simply copying
> an pasting an MS Excel graph into MS Word and creating a PDF from there
> !!! I really don't won't them to keep using MS Word to do DTP stuff in !!

With the approach we've just discussed, your users will probably be
tempted to cut-n-paste into OO Draw, and then create a PFD from there, I
guess. :o(

Cheers!
Nik.