[Scribus] a list in French

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Fri Nov 4 04:38:12 CET 2005

>Gregory Pittman schrieb:
>>  Louis Desjardins wrote:
>>

>>>Bonjour,
>>>
>>>2 things.
>>>
>>>1. I am taking good note of PLinnel's post on this issue.
>>>
>>>Personnaly I am ok with this, post in both languages, if you can. I
>>>understand that it should not prevent someone to post any question just
>>>because he/she can't post in English. I'd prefer to post the answer in
>>>French and then translate both the question and the answer back to
>>>English, as courtesy to the list and if it is relevant in anyway. So,
>>>one list. I agree 100%.
>>>
>>>2. Many users/posters on this list have a fair knowledge of XPress... no
>>>worries! (Further down, a bit more comments, for our French friends.)
>>>
>>>* * *
>>>

>>  More or less, I tend to agree with Louis -- why have a disincentive for
>>  people to post (or make posting laborious)?
>>  But one thing that occurs to me that perhaps Franz could help with, is
>>  to add to the monthly message from the list server something about this
>>  issue.
>>  Example for discussion purposes:
>>
>>  "The primary language of Scribus list is English, and in general this is
>>  the language which will most easily allow your post to be understood by
>>  the entire Scribus team as well as most list members.  The best answer
>>  for your question/problem is likely to be a composite of several answers
>>  from different members.
>>  This having been said, if you have difficulty with English, feel free to
>>  post in your primary language (plus English if possible), since as a
>>  group the Scribus team and users are quite multilingual, and can help
>>  with the translation as needed."
>>
>>  Greg
>
>I strongly agree with Greg. Such a hint (also multilingual?) would make
>clear what is best to get as much help as possible, but it wouldn't
>disencourage people who feel uncertain in English. Actually, I can't
>remember any problem that had to remain unsolved due to translation
>problems.

Can we say we have a way to go? I think Greg's addition is *great*
and will give anyone the confidence to post, and that they will get
an answer they can understand. Like Peter puts it, it also keeps us
on target: make Scribus work and get known by as many people as
possible, and at the same time keeps us tightly together. The
multilingual hints is a way of welcoming people and make them feel at
home. I am with Christoph on this as well.

Louis