[Scribus] Printer.s dots?

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Nov 3 10:26:25 CET 2005

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:31:08 +0800
> Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>>Do you mean that you're printing a page that 
>>you then use to make the plate (like the POST used to do with the 
>>imagesetter) ?
> No, the plates are directly printed on the laser printer.  The plates are
> sheets of thin plastic material, just a bit thicker than regular paper.
> The "active side" is purple.  You run the plate through the laser printer
> and put what you want on it, then you pull the plate through a chemical
> bath in a tray similar to that used to put up wallpaper.  After that,
> strap 'er into the press and roll 'em.
> At least, that appears to be the procedure to me.  I have seen it done
> several times now, and it looks like that's all there is to it.

Well, you learn something every day. That's cool. I'd be interested to 
know what the process is called if you find out, just so I know what it 
is if I run into it again.

Being able to use a laser printer instead of a platesetter and/or 
imagesetter must do wonders for the initial hardware cost. I just hope 
the plates don't cost too much and have a long enough life.

Anyway, while I don't have any HPs at work anymore I do have another 
genuine Adobe PS3 based printer, so I'll have to see how Quark does its 
halftoning in PS.

Craig Ringer

More information about the scribus mailing list