[Scribus] Printer.s dots?

Steve Jacobs steve
Thu Nov 3 01:01:12 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:00:45 +0100
Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 November 2005 20:04, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:19:16 +0100
> >
> > Tino Schwarze <scribus.lists at tisc.de> wrote:
> > > Laser printers cannot produce solidly shaded colors - just take a look
> > > yourself using a magnifier. You can actually influence the screening
> > > using the advanced options of the PDF export but I'm not sure whether
> > > the HP Laser will or can use that information (what model is it?).
> >
> > It's a HP Laserjet 5100.
> >
> > > PS: Sounds like someone should have bought some knowledge together with
> > > the press...
> >
> > It's a small independent print shop.
>
> Sounds like you need to set Output to Printer, then tick Use Custom Rendering
> Settings. Then set the rendering settings as your printer requests. Then, to
> a TEST page or a few.. I bet this has not been tested in real life that much
> so please TEST first before sending an expensive print run forest to the
> pulper.
>
> Craig

I have not been able to get the Custom Rendering Settings to work with
Laserjet printers. The invariable result is ugly square dots at about 45
lpi regardless of my settings. I suspect that the problem is
with the hp printer, not Scribus.

Ghostscript will do what you want, however. Set DITHERPPI to the desired
screen ruling. You'll get well-defined round dots and smooth gradients
that print beautifully.

I make a lot of laser plates for a local print shop on a Laserjet 5000.
The optimum screen ruling is about 95-105 lpi. Finer rulings (up to 120
lpi) are possible, but above 105 lpi other limitations of the printer kick
in.

Regards,

Steve

--