[Scribus] Printer.s dots?

Tino Schwarze scribus.lists
Wed Nov 2 18:19:16 CET 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:05:42AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> The Bargain Hunter has recently purchased some offset presses and now
> does all of its printing "in-house".
>
> We print the plates for the presses directly off of a 1200 dpi HP laser
> printer.
>
> The press operator tells me that we can get better/finer shading if we
> use what he called "printer's dots" though he wasn't sure that was the
> proper name for it.  These are the fine dots that you can see in some
> professional printing jobs as background shading and whatnot, kind of
> like the dots that make up a newspaper photo.
>
> The question is, can we somehow generate these printer's dots using
> Scribus?  Right now, when we print something out shaded it comes out
> solidly shaded and not with these dots.

Laser printers cannot produce solidly shaded colors - just take a look
yourself using a magnifier. You can actually influence the screening
using the advanced options of the PDF export but I'm not sure whether
the HP Laser will or can use that information (what model is it?).

HTH! Tino.

PS: Sounds like someone should have bought some knowledge together with
the press...