[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Maciej Hanski ma_han2000
Sun May 29 20:06:04 CEST 2005

---CUT---------

> [...]
> in the Documentation.
>
> 2.1 General Use. You may install and Use a copy of the Software on
> your compatible computer, up to the Permitted Number of computers.
>
> [...]
>
> 2.2.2 For information on how to distribute the Software on tangible
> media or through an internal network please refer to the sections
> entitled "How to Distribute Adobe Reader" at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html.
>
> 2.5 No Modification. You may customize or extend the functionality of
> the installer for the Software as specifically allowed by instructions
>
> found at http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html or
> http://partners.adobe.com (e.g., installation of additional plug-in
> and help files). You may not otherwise alter or modify the Software or
>
> create a new installer for the Software. The Software is licensed and
> distributed by Adobe for viewing, distributing and sharing PDF files.
> ***You are not authorized to integrate or use the Software with any
> other software***, plug-in or enhancement which uses or relies upon
> the Software when converting or transforming PDF files into other file
>
> formats (e.g., a PDF file into a TIFF, JPEG, or SVG file). You are not
>
> authorized to integrate or use the Software with any (a) plug-in
> software not developed in accordance with the Adobe Integration Key
> License Agreement or (b) other software or enhancement to
> programmatically interface with the Software for the purpose of (i)
> saving data locally (on the same Computer), except when allowed
> through the use of Document Feature(s) that have been activated using
> enabling technology from Adobe, (ii) creating a file that contains
> data (e.g., an XML or comments file), or (iii) saving modifications to
> a PDF file."
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html?readstep
>
> "Distributing Adobe Reader
>
> Please complete the Adobe_ Reader_ distribution request only if you
> are interested in distributing Adobe Reader software via internal Web
> site, CD, or other media, or are interested in placing an "Includes
> Adobe Reader" logo on your printed material. As an alternative, you
> may want to create a link on your CD directly to the Adobe Reader
> download page. How to distribute Adobe Reader software
>
> You may post Adobe Reader software on company intranet sites or local
> networks. You may also distribute Adobe Reader on a CD or any other
> physical media as long as you accept the terms and conditions of the
> electronic Adobe Reader Distribution Agreement.
> Complete the Adobe Reader Distribution Agreement
>
> Fill out the online request to distribute Adobe Reader.
>
> Once you are authorized to redistribute Adobe Reader, you also will
> have access to the "Includes Adobe Reader" button for use on printed
> materials."
>
> I'm not sure what to make of it, so I sent an email to Adobe. I'll
> tell you about their answer as soon as it is in.

Hmm.

If "Software means fonts" 1(iii)

AND

"You are not authorized to integrate or use the Software with any  other software" 2.5

THEN

we cannot use these fonts in Scribus for free :(

Am I right? I hope not... Are there any lawyers on the list?

M.