[Scribus] Re: Questions to Gentium, Myriad Pro, and Minion Pro

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sun May 29 19:21:36 CEST 2005

Hi Maciej,

> Thanks Christoph, I really appreciate your feedback, somehow, we are
> getting nearer :)
>
> Regarding the both "Polish" antiquas (which
> are widely used by Polish TeX users)  that start the typeface list:
>
> 1. Antykwa Poltawskiego is  definitely Public Domain, which
> means it's not copyrighted and you can do with it whatever you like:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/antp.html
>
> 2. Antykwa Torunska (Antiqua from Torun/Thorn)  can be used and
> distributed for free (GNU licence), as stated on the website of it's
> author:
>
> http://www.janusz.nowacki.strefa.pl/index.html
>
> (Meanwhile confirmed on on pl.comp.dtp.tex )
>
> 3. Myriad Pro and Minion Pro: still much uncertainty about this two. I
> think if we convert text to paths or don't embed them and deliver our
> documents along with our Live DTP CD
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Live_DTP_CD to the printer, nobody is
> going to sue us. But they still deserve a big, fat warning until we know
> better.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrreula.html

"[...]
Adobe permits you to Use the Software only in accordance with the terms
of this Agreement. Use of some third party materials included in the
Software may be subject to other terms and conditions typically found in
a separate license agreement or "Read Me" file located near such materials

1. Definitions. "Software" means [...] (iii) fonts;

[...]

2. Software License.  As long as you comply with the terms of this
Software License Agreement (this "Agreement"), Adobe grants to you a
non-exclusive license to Use the Software for the purposes described in
the Documentation.

2.1 General Use. You may install and Use a copy of the Software on your
compatible computer, up to the Permitted Number of computers.

[...]

2.2.2 For information on how to distribute the Software on tangible
media or through an internal network please refer to the sections
entitled "How to Distribute Adobe Reader" at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html.

2.5 No Modification. You may customize or extend the functionality of
the installer for the Software as specifically allowed by instructions
found at http://www.adobe.com/support/main.html or
http://partners.adobe.com (e.g., installation of additional plug-in and
help files). You may not otherwise alter or modify the Software or
create a new installer for the Software. The Software is licensed and
distributed by Adobe for viewing, distributing and sharing PDF files.
***You are not authorized to integrate or use the Software with any
other software***, plug-in or enhancement which uses or relies upon the
Software when converting or transforming PDF files into other file
formats (e.g., a PDF file into a TIFF, JPEG, or SVG file). You are not
authorized to integrate or use the Software with any (a) plug-in
software not developed in accordance with the Adobe Integration Key
License Agreement or (b) other software or enhancement to
programmatically interface with the Software for the purpose of (i)
saving data locally (on the same Computer), except when allowed through
the use of Document Feature(s) that have been activated using enabling
technology from Adobe, (ii) creating a file that contains data (e.g., an
XML or comments file), or (iii) saving modifications to a PDF file."

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html?readstep

"Distributing Adobe Reader

Please complete the Adobe? Reader? distribution request only if you are
interested in distributing Adobe Reader software via internal Web site,
CD, or other media, or are interested in placing an "Includes Adobe
Reader" logo on your printed material. As an alternative, you may want
to create a link on your CD directly to the Adobe Reader download page.
How to distribute Adobe Reader software

You may post Adobe Reader software on company intranet sites or local
networks. You may also distribute Adobe Reader on a CD or any other
physical media as long as you accept the terms and conditions of the
electronic Adobe Reader Distribution Agreement.
Complete the Adobe Reader Distribution Agreement

Fill out the online request to distribute Adobe Reader.

Once you are authorized to redistribute Adobe Reader, you also will have
access to the "Includes Adobe Reader" button for use on printed materials."

I'm not sure what to make of it, so I sent an email to Adobe. I'll tell
you about their answer as soon as it is in.

> BTW, since the most feedback on this topic is from German native speakers,
> what about initiating a similar wiki page in German, with German free
> fonts and text samples? It would be the first German Scribus Wiki
> article...

Hmmm, until now, the English version served my needs very well. But
maybe a German manual (PDF, HTML) could be useful when 1.4 is ready. You
can buy a small printed manual in German for 1.2, but it provides less
information than already available in the docs and the wiki ... and it
was created in (don't laugh) M$ Word :-D

> LG
> Maciej

Cheers

Christoph