[Scribus] scribus invisible when installed from debian package

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Fri May 27 20:39:11 CEST 2005

* Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> [2005-05-27 12:45:21 +0800]:

> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 22:31 -0600, Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> > I've tried installing debian (for Ubuntu) scribus from the instructions
> > at this URL:
> > http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=install&page=install-dpkg
> >
> > I've used both the apt and synaptic methods. I've never had any trouble
> > with either, though I am a relative Linux newbie.
> >
> > My problem is that despite an apparently successful installation, I
> > can't find the program anywhere. It doesn't show up in my applications
> > list, and I can't find any obviously relevant directory (e.g.
> > under /etc, though I've browsed through the system more generally). Any
> > suggestions?
>
> /usr/bin/scribus
>
> In general, if you're confused about where a package has put things,
> use:
>
> $ dpkg -L $PACKAGENAME
>
> eg:
>
> $ dpkg -L scribus | less
>
> I'm not sure why the menu integration hasn't happened - maybe malex will
> have some ideas there.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

I would probably have to install Ubuntu to find out an answer to that. On a
regular Debian system installation of my "scribus" package puts an entry into
the "Applications/Office" menu in Gnome or the "Apps/Graphics" of the "Debian"
menu just fine. I wouldn't have any idea what changes Ubuntu guys have made to
the process.

And by the way, that page
(http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&sm=install&page=install-dpkg) has
been superseded by a new version currently in the scribus docs. I am not sure
why Peter Linnell (mrdocs) hasn't put the new version up on the website, yet.
We have a new official Debian repository now with a mirror in my webspace. So,
the correct apt sources now are:

# Main repository
deb         http://debian.tagancha.org/scribus unstable/
deb-src     http://debian.tagancha.org/scribus unstable/