[Scribus] Quark 7

John R. Culleton john
Thu May 26 16:59:24 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:51 am, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2005 05:16 schrieb frank gaude':
> > > GIMP and Inkscape are
> > > marching at an impressive pace, but when it comes to printing, they
> > > are useless without scribus and/or Photoshop and Acrobat.
> > > As much as I admire the progress of FOSS, there are still lots of
> > > pieces to add to a seamless Open Source publishing workflow (think
> > > about job tickets, software like pitstop etc.)
>
> Quark, PageStream, Viva and other applications also take PhotoShop as
> Standard; PitStop, too -
> colourspace indication for example works just with PhotoShop-images. Why
> not using PhotoShop (which runs in Version 6 and 7 with CrossOver under
> Linux, too),
> when it comes to images meant for printing. For RGB-Images Gimp is already
> ok, for CMYK perhaps some day).

The capability to create an image in Gimp and then in
postprocessing convert it to CMYK exists now. With the new beta
release of Gimp there is still more CMYK capability. Exactly how
much I am not sure. So long term if you are a fan of free
software like Scribus it makes sense to be a fan of free software
like Gimp.

Indeed in another context case can be made for laying out
text in plain pdftex, then converting it back to ascii
preserving the line and paragraph breaks and reimporting it into
Scribus as part of an overall Scribus type job. What would be
needed would be a Scribus text flow that justified each line
without rearranging the line breaks. Niceties like hanging
punctuation would be lost but the rest of TeX's elegant paragraph
making capability would be retained.

Do I want an egg in my typesetting beer? You bet. Double-yolked.
--

John Culleton
The answers to all your publishing questions are found