[Scribus] Quark 7

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed May 25 03:47:54 CEST 2005

> I've found some interesting info on the upcoming quark
> 7
>
> http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1759,1766264,00.asp
>

> jozsefmak

Fine! At first glance, Quark seems to implement some features scribus
already has (or will have as soon as 1.4 is out -- I'm waiting with
baited breath ...).

To be honest, I don't think scribus developers should look at Quark
anymore as an example. InDesign is state of the art today, and as much
as I dislike proprietary software, it's great. In my view, scribus
should be able to offer an alternative to InDesign without simply
"copying" its features.

Unfortunately, matching InDesign's features and reliability won't be
enough to compete with Adobe's offerings. GIMP and Inkscape are marching
at an impressive pace, but when it comes to printing, they are useless
without scribus and/or Photoshop and Acrobat.

As much as I admire the progress of FOSS, there are still lots of pieces
to add to a seamless Open Source publishing workflow (think about job
tickets, software like pitstop etc.)

Back to parent: QuarkXPress is dead in the water. For those who have
suffered from Quark in the past (a lot of people), this might be final
justice, but after Adobe buying out Macromedia, the publishing community
has to deal with a new monopoly.

My apologies for the rant.

Christoph