[Scribus] ligatures in Scribus

MaHan ma_han2000
Tue May 24 16:44:00 CEST 2005

--- Janusz Prendota <afila at afila.pl> schrieb:

> > Sure. We had a small discussion about it days ago.
> > There are some hard-to-solve issues with automatic
> ligatures,
> > e.g. hyphenation, ligatures presence in fonts
> (imagine what
> > could happend when user change the font which
> doesn't contain
> > used ligature...)
> Nothing,
>  It means of course changing the design, the spaces
> the hyphenation...., but
> when I change the font I'm prepared to see the
> visual changes. Thats OK.
> J.

Hi,
how does this substitution with ligatures work in
InDesign, automatically while filling text frames with
text, or by explicitely launching a special menu
option?  IMHO, the latter seems to be more sane, and
it could work similar to the way the Scribus
hyphenator and Short Words plug-in work now. It would
be irreversible, but the user would have the choice,
and in case he wouldn't understand what he's doing, he
could even have to confirm a "Yes/No/Cancel/Do you
want to backup your file first" question before doing
it.

cheers
Maciej