[Scribus] EPS integration trouble

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue May 17 22:20:40 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 19:27, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> I'm using Debian Unstable, which contains scribus 1.2.2cvs.
>
> Joh
>
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 19:21 +0200, PLinnell wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 May 2005 18:21, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm new to scribus and somewhat perplexed by this problem I
> > > have ... I'm trying to create a poster for a Scientific
> > > conference (1m x 2m) using scribus. Using inkscape I have
> > > prepared a background image which is supposed to frame the
> > > poster. Export to eps and import into my template in scribus
> > > seem to work fine (looks ok on the screen), but when looking at
> > > "Print Preview", the eps is present twice: once in the right
> > > position and once mirrored to that. Another issue is that
> > > scribus crashed every time I'm trying to export the whole thing
> > > to pdf ...
> > >
> > > I can convert the eps to pdf using epstopdf and then the
> > > preview works, but I have the impression to loose some of the
> > > output quality ...
> > >
> > > Can anybody help me out with what's going on her?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Joh
> >
> > It works perfectly here with both 1.3.0cvs and 1.2.2cvs (soon to
> > be 1.2.2 stable)
> >
> > If you import this as an image, you are more than likely to crash
> > as you run out of memory on export.
> >
> > Which distro and which version of Scribus ?
> >
> > Peter

When importing as EPS, here is a way which works quickly and in my
testing makes for excellent output.

1) Close all docs in Scribus.

2) File > Import EPS. Scribus will create a custom size page with your
EPS content.

3) Save file and close.

4) Make a new doc with your custom doc size, in this case 2m x 3m

5) Make a second layer. (This part is important)

6) Switch to the lower background layer. Then use Page > Import Pages
and select the recently closed file. It will land in the upper left
corner of the new doc, but you can center it easily with the
properties palette.

Now you can add the rest of the text artwork on the upper layer and
not worry about the imported content.

As a comment, Scribus does have drawing tools as well and is well upto
a task like your file in my opinion.

I've mailed you the files off list.

HTH,

Peter