[Scribus] Page cropping in Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Wed May 11 04:13:10 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 19:39 +0600, Valentine Sinitsyn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a 20+ pages PDF document and wish to make it's margins smaller
> (now they contain typographical marks and other stuff I'm not
> interested in for my personal purposes).

To do this with Scribus you'd need to rasterise the PDF, unless the
input PDF contains no raster graphics. The output PDF would be
considerably larger if the input is rasterised.

If you can import the PDF as vectors, then it would be possible to get
good results, but this will only work if there are no raster graphics in
the PDF.

Scribus really isn't a PDF editor. I'm not aware of any comprehensive
free tools that are, though you might have some luck with Multivalent:
http://www.scribus.org.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index&req=viewlink&cid=15
http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/index.html

... depending on what you need to do.

>  The easiest tool to get is
> Scribus, because it's free and widely available. I've installed it on
> my VectorLinux box but stucked. :( I'll be very grateful for
> explaining the following things:
>
> 1) Is there any way to import multipage PDF into Scribus. I know there
> was no way to do it in earlier versions, but now "PDF Import" is on
> the main Documentation page of Scribus so maybe the situation changed
> ?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 2) If not, what is the best way to import PDF? Should I use EPS, SVG
> or something else?

There really isn't a good one for "editing" PDF. The PDF support in
Scribus is suited for including PDFs in larger jobs (think newspaper
advertisment sent as a PDF), but really isn't made for the "open PDF,
edit, save PDF" approach.

IMO: Find a friend with Adobe Acrobat Professional. It'll save you soooo
much work.

--
Craig Ringer