[Scribus] Basic questions about using ligatures in Scribus

Michael Below mbelow
Sun May 8 19:17:55 CEST 2005

Louis Desjardins <louisdesjardins at videotron.ca> writes:

> The issue about ligatures is there are very many. Few of them are
> included in the regular set of fonts, such as ff, fi, fl, oe, ae. Some
> others are put in a separate font. Adobe calls them Expert
> fonts. There you can find all extra ligatures, such as ffi, ffl, ct,
> etc., and lots of variations for capital letters, numbers, etc. In all
> these cases, it is necessary to replace the glyph and the font. A task
> I wouldn't do without a proper tool, given the many manipulation
> errors that could occur.

I agree. Also, the proper ligatures depend upon hyphenation. In
german, one puts ligatures inside syllables, not at their borders,
where hyphenation is allowed. E.g. in "Pflanze" (syllables Pflan-ze)
there is a fl ligature, but not in "Auflauf" (Auf-lauf). At least my
1961 Duden (orthography rule book) does it like this.

Ciao
  Michael