[Scribus] Basic questions about using ligatures in Scribus

Petr Vaněk petr
Sun May 8 17:46:23 CEST 2005

On Sunday 08 of May 2005 16:32, Maciej Hanski wrote:
> I wonder, if this ligature issue couldn't be rather a job for a plug in
> or an extension script, the kind of Petr's Short Words? What I don't
> understand is, how do other applications (e.g. LaTeX -- Petr?) know
> which glyphs and how to substitute? Is this information delivered with
> the font, or does a user always have to define it from scratch? If it's
> delivered with the font or a particular type of fonts (Type1, what
> else?), user interaction woudn't be necessary, right? An user could
> just execute the script the way he does with the hyphenation (before or
> after hyphenation?).

I'm not sure - if I remember right the font contains some "mapping" table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligature_(typography)
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=IWS-AppendixC
http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net/gposgsub.html#GSUB

It's quite easy to write some addon/plug/or whatever to solve this tasks
(semi)automatically. I just need to know "the rules".
E.g.:
convert all occurences of "--" to the en-dash, "---" to the em-dash, "fi" to
the fi_glyph (if exists in selected font)...

It can be done as Louis's "multi-replacement tool" with some (user) predefined
profiles.

--
Petr Vanek --------------
petr [at] yarpen [dot] cz