[Scribus] Main Thrust of Scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Mon May 2 06:54:49 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 11:29 -0700, frank gaude' wrote:
> What is the main purpose of Scribus, i.e., what area of DTP, page
> layout, newsletters, books, etc., is it being pointed?

I'm not sure there's really a particular "purpose" that Scribus is aimed
at / for . I know various contributors have their own focuses and
viewpoints, though - for example, I have a real interest in more text
heavy documents, automation, collaboration, and newspaper layouts.

Currently I think Scribus is better at documents that are less text
centric - so more fliers, advertisments, brochures, etc than technical
papers and books. It's also rather good at semi-automated document
generation - the sort of thing you can automatically lay out to a point
but need the human touch to finish off.

That's my view of the current state, though - things are hopping along
nicely and each improvement to Scribus makes something easier, faster,
or nicer to do.

Personally, I have a strong interest in being able to do newspaper
layouts with Scribus quickly and efficiently, with good workflow and
versioning support - eventually.

> To me programs such as PageMaker became dead at about the time InDesign
> 1.5 was released some years back, no longer supported by Adobe.

It's FrameMaker that I wish hadn't gone the way of the dodo. I've used
it enough now to know how much better off we would've been if that's
what word processors had become instead of the ghastly mess that they
are these days.

--
Craig Ringer