[Scribus] Font change requestor

Craig Ringer craig
Mon May 2 06:26:37 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 17:19 -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Riku Leino wrote:
>
> >William H Lugg <wlugg at falconbroadband.net> wrote:
> >

> >>Yeah, I saw that, but it left me wondering what "easier" means.  Perhaps I
> >>worded the question wrong.
> >>

> >Enabling some easy way of selecting a bold/italic etc. font for families where
> >these exist. There has been quite a few requests for this and I think there's
> >a wiki discussion page set up for this too.
> >

> I wonder how difficult it would be to do the following:
>
> 1. Continue to have the current situation, which we might call the "long
> form" as one alternative.

Personally, rather than /quite/ the current situation, I think it might
be worth looking at a more structured menu, eg:

Helvectica
	- Regular
	- Oblique
	- Bold
	- Black
	- Bold Oblique
	- Book
	- ....
Utopia
	- Bold
	- Black
	- Regular

etc. This would be familar to most DTP users already, and could utilize
the same information used to do the bold/italic selector UI. It'd make
life *much* easier when working with fonts that have a great number of
different faces.

A widget like this could also be used in more space-constrained
environments without losing the benefits of easier font selection.

I've always liked Craig Bradney's plans for the button-based easy style
selection too, so I'm not trying to disagree with that... just suggest
that another font widget would also be handy. I'll probably write it
myself when the infrastructure is in, if non-one beats me to it.

--
Craig Ringer