[Scribus] Anyone interested in this?

Boštjan Špetič igzebedze
Sun May 1 09:01:04 CEST 2005

um.. guys... livecds are an old technology:

garbure project has a dtp dedicated deistribution:
   http://garbure.org/
   http://garbure.org/galantine/

there exists a software for easier creation of morphix based livecds:
   http://ibuild.livecd.net/

.. and i really suggest you use it. builind livecds from scratch takes a lot of time and energy.

regards, bostjan

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:20:44 -0600, Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex at tagancha.org> wrote:

> * Thomas Templin <lists at gnuwhv.de> [2005-04-30 23:21:13 +0200]:
>
>> On Saturday 30 April 2005 18:53, Paul wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> But I would suggest a knoppix based live cd.
>>
>> - You will find much more people who are familiar in building
>>   Knoppix based live cds than others like RH FC4 Live.
>>
>> - Knoppix >= Version 3.8 comes along with unionfs which allows to
>>   add applications during a live session.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Thomas
>
> I started work on a Knoppix 3.7-based live DTP CD a few weeks ago with a goal
> of having a small live CD that I could quickly update the scribus 1.2.x and
> 1.3cvs packages as I make the Debian packages anyways. I did a CD-like HD
> install inside a qemu image, removed a lot of non-DTP stuff and added some,
> but not all software that mrdocs suggested to me. Unfortunately I couldn't
> build a remastered image despite numerous attempts - the mkisofs would always
> crash inside qemu. I thought it was a qemu-related problem, but wasn't able to
> troubleshoot it. Then I've downloaded a Knoppix 3.8 image and made appropriate
> partitions on another computer that recently became available to me. I made a
> 2 week break due to workload, but I still intend to go through the process I
> went with 3.7 with this version. For the reference, I was using a how-to
> located at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster_From_Hd_Install_HowTo.
> However, this time I am thinking of following the classic remastering guide
> located at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto.
>
> My goals:
>
> - Knoppix-based live CD with the smallest subset of packages from the full CD
>   that are needed for its function.
>
> - Up-to-date Scribus, gimp, inkscape, batik, and other DTP-related packages.
>
> - Regular "releases" - both timed and on-demand if someone needs such a live
>   CD for a presentation or whatever.
>
> Achieving the above goals is really not hard thanks to the debian package
> management tools. The only problem so far has been to get the remaster to
> build.
>
> I added a Live DTP CD page to the wiki.scribus.net. Please provide your input.
> http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Live_DTP_CD
>
> If someone really wants to do it I would have not problem with it. I could
> provide up-to-date Debian scribus packages to this person on-demand and let
> them update other packages and generate/test ISOs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex.

igzebedze - he who speaks loud and say nothing