[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Andreas Vox vox
Wed Mar 23 16:53:13 CET 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 09:42 +0100, Martin Costabel wrote:
>
> > We could discuss them one by one, once I have found out which ones I
> am
> > still needing for 1.3cvs. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, so I
> > was just able to run a quick compilation; it convinced me that a few
> of
> > these patches are still needed, at least for me.
>
> Here's a rough description of the status of integration for the various
> bits in the .info file you posted, along with comments and questions.
> I'm probably wrong about or misunderstanding a few of those that
> follow,
> so feel free to correct me.
> Anyway, comments follow.

> -- Patch script
>
> Plugin `Makefile' S&R:
>         Equivalent merged. The plugin makefiles were altered to use the
>         -module argument  to libtool, which should cause them to be
>         linked in the correct  platform specific manner. The effect
>         should be much the same as the explicit addition of the flags
>         you do in your Makefile script, but will work on all supported
>         platforms.

I found out that ".so" is the correct extension on Mac after all.
Had some confusing results here.

> Declarations fixes:
>         Not merged. I need more info on these - what MacOS/X versions,
>         gcc verisons etc they're required for, for example. I didn't
>         notice any problems with any of the listed function calls
>         on MacOS/X 10.3 (which is what I'm currently targeting.
>         MacOS/X 10.2 will probably be obsolete by the time 1.3 is being
>         stabilized for release.).

These problems disappeared for me when I switched from XCode 1.1
to XCode 1.5 + the nov2004 gcc updater.

> strndup:
>         Not yet merged. Should probably go, since as you note only
>         a strdup is required. However, strndup(...) is present on
>         MacOS/X 10.3 .

???
Where, I did a grep -r /usr/include and it came up only with the PHP and
Python equivalents.

> Configure command:
>         You should be able to do away with the --with-extra-{blah} by
>         setting your DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, and CPATH
>         correctly.

--with-extra-* options are nicer than environment variables, though.
I'm not sure if these configure options work as  advertised for Scribus.
I've seen a generated configure script where external libraries where
handled *before* the KDE part of configure had a chance to evaluate
these options.

Ciao
/Andreas