[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Mar 23 09:57:45 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 09:42 +0100, Martin Costabel wrote:

> We could discuss them one by one, once I have found out which ones I am
> still needing for 1.3cvs. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, so I
> was just able to run a quick compilation; it convinced me that a few of
> these patches are still needed, at least for me.

No worries. I'll try to go through your scribus-aqua.info file and
summarize the current status soon. For now, my reply is interleaved
below.

> Most of them are perhaps not needed if you compile scribus on a virgin
> Mac with exactly those additional libraries installed that you need for
> the compilation of scribus. This is not my situation, however, and it is
> not one that you can assume if you want to give compilation instructions
> or (what is basically the same thing) make a Fink package.

That sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure I understand what difference
extra unrelated libraries would make. X11 is installed on the system, as
is the dev kit for it, and the main apple dev kit. I don't really
understand what else would be an issue.

> What happens in a more realistic situation is, for example, that
> although I don't want to use X11 for this version of scribus, I still
> have X11 installed, and then, despite configure having found the right
> version of freetype, some parts of scribus still see the old freetype in
> /usr/X11R6 and link to it, with disastrous results.

Interesting. I had no problems with this, and made no specific changes
to configure or the makefiles to accomidate this. I simply ensured the
right freetype was on my DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and CPATH
before compilation, exactly as one does in any other situation where
multiple copies of a library exist on a system.

> Some parts will also still link to libX11 unless this is explicitly removed
> from the Makefile.

I fixed that one a while ago; it shouldn't happen with current CVS.

> Also fontconfig will be found in /usr/X11R6 and not in /sw/lib
> or wherever you built your own fontconfig, unless something is done
> about it.

Again, I had no problems with this - with my environment set up
correctly. I _did_ have trouble getting Scribus's configure script to
correctly find fontconfig (it's .la file has missing dependencies) but
fixing the fontconfig .la file solved that.

> Another example is python. I want scribus to use the python that comes
> with the system, but I still have another version of python installed
> from Fink. I tell configure on its command line where to find python,
> but this doesn't prevent it from seeing also the Fink python, and the
> result is that the scripter plugin is not built.

I'll have to look at that; I haven't got to the point of looking at the
scripting stuff on MacOS/X yet.

> Another example is qt3, where I direct configure to use qt/mac, but I
> still have qt-x11 installed, too, which wouldn't give conflicts if the
> Makefiles actually used the values that configure has found. They don't
> by default, so several times the wrong libqt-mt is pulled in.

Interesting. That is a case I haven't yet tested - I'll have to drop
Qt/x11 in place to see. Most of the Qt stuff should be done
automagically by the KDE build scripts though, and there is little or no
customisation of that side of things done in the Scribus configure.in.in
etc.

--
Craig Ringer