[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Martin Costabel costabel
Wed Mar 23 09:42:11 CET 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:
[]
> Of course, most of the changes that went in were directly based on those
> published by Andreas and by Martin.
>
> A few of Martin's are still to come because I don't yet really
> understand why they're needed, what they do, how they work, and/or how
> to integrate them into mainline (we can't do makefile hacks!).

We could discuss them one by one, once I have found out which ones I am
still needing for 1.3cvs. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, so I
was just able to run a quick compilation; it convinced me that a few of
these patches are still needed, at least for me.

Most of them are perhaps not needed if you compile scribus on a virgin
Mac with exactly those additional libraries installed that you need for
the compilation of scribus. This is not my situation, however, and it is
not one that you can assume if you want to give compilation instructions
or (what is basically the same thing) make a Fink package.

What happens in a more realistic situation is, for example, that
although I don't want to use X11 for this version of scribus, I still
have X11 installed, and then, despite configure having found the right
version of freetype, some parts of scribus still see the old freetype in
/usr/X11R6 and link to it, with disastrous results. Some parts will also
still link to libX11 unless this is explicitly removed from the
Makefile. Also fontconfig will be found in /usr/X11R6 and not in /sw/lib
or wherever you built your own fontconfig, unless something is done
about it.

Another example is python. I want scribus to use the python that comes
with the system, but I still have another version of python installed
from Fink. I tell configure on its command line where to find python,
but this doesn't prevent it from seeing also the Fink python, and the
result is that the scripter plugin is not built.

Another example is qt3, where I direct configure to use qt/mac, but I
still have qt-x11 installed, too, which wouldn't give conflicts if the
Makefiles actually used the values that configure has found. They don't
by default, so several times the wrong libqt-mt is pulled in.

Often you don't see these problems at compile time and they show up only
when you try to run something that needs a particular plugin which then
will not run. Not so easy to debug, in general.

--
Martin