[Scribus] Success: compile Mac/Aqua from CVS without patches

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Mar 22 17:03:49 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 17:56 +0100, Andreas Vox wrote:

> What if we included the .app skeleton in CVS, eg. parallel to
> scribus.desktop
> and scribus.lsm?
> Also we could just ./configure --prefix=$DIR/Scripus.app/Contents ...
> and include a symbolic link from Scribus.app/Contents/MacOS/scribus to
> Scribus.ap/Contents/bin/scribus

That seems reasonable. I was thinking I'd need to tweak some of the
build targets, eg the main binary, and produce a .app in the --prefix.
That'd be pretty complex though. Just installing to the skeletion using
--prefix and using a symlink for the main binary should certainly get us
started.

I was going to add the .app skeleton to CVS once I figured out the best
way to handle it. I don't suppose there's any harm in just dropping it
in for now.

> So 70MB + 30MB + 4,5 MB + 14 MB makes 118,5 MB.
>
> Stripping scribus reduces it to 4.4 MB (-65 MB) but then the plugins
> don't work any more.

A non-debug build will be a sensible size without stripping. I'm aware
of the issue with non-debug builds on MacOS/X and will look at fixing
the Makefiles.

> Similar effects could be achieved with stripping the plugins in
> /usr/local/lib/scribus (- 20MB)

Same deal as before - they'll be pretty reasonable with a non-debug
build.

> Probably linking Qt statically would also reduce the size since I don't
> think Scribus uses all functions of Qt.

That requires a static build of Qt. I'm going to be testing out making a
largely static build (statically linking most of the main libs) soon.

--
Craig Ringer