[Scribus] Fwd: Scribus Digest, Vol 25, Issue 34

Martin Costabel costabel
Mon Mar 14 10:33:16 CET 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:
[]
> Fink and MacOS/X native are somewhat orthogonal.

I don't agree. What Fink is orthogonal to is the culture of the "single
application computer", where you have a build system that works if you
*only* build scribus, or if you *only* build a fortran compiler, or if
you *only* build a TeX system, or if you *only* build your favorite DNA
visualization program. This corresponds to the shareware culture where
the guru dedicates his computer and his time to one piece of software
and everyone else uses the binaries he has created. Repeated reinvention
of wheels is needed for this.

> It's also possible to make a standalone .app bundle that can be
> distributed as a .dmg . That's what I'm working on currently and what
> Andreas Vox helped kick off. It's actually largely working now, though

As I have pointed out repeatedly, this can be done using Fink, too. I
will not keep you from reinventing wheels (like building all the
required libraries on your own), but I have no time in the next few days
to contribute to this.

> not spectacularly polished. I just need to fix up the some lingering
> build issues and (most importantly) make plugins work properly and I
> might be able to put up an early preview .dmg.

The "some lingering build issues" is what this always has been about.

> I'm on IRC a lot, so it'd be really good if we (Andreas, Martin and I)
> could get together at some point and discuss some of this, as I'm
> concerned that we're duplicating a lot of work here.

I'll not be duplicating anything, I'll wait now until this stabilizes.
My contribution is on the table.

--
Martin