[Scribus] Fwd: Scribus Digest, Vol 25, Issue 34

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Mar 14 06:52:33 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 00:24 -0500, Sunil Joshi wrote:
> Andreas & Martin:  This is a great step forward for OSX native Scribus.
> The popularity of Scribus with increase tremendously if it is developed
> into a native application.  Even though Fink is a great resource, many,
> including me who are not so well versed with Unix, would find it a lot
> easier to deal with a native OSX version.   Thanks for your hard work.
> Looking forward to a stand alone version some time in near future!

Fink and MacOS/X native are somewhat orthogonal. You can actually
potentially build and install a MacOS/X native Scribus using fink -
that's what Martin has been working on.

It's also possible to make a standalone .app bundle that can be
distributed as a .dmg . That's what I'm working on currently and what
Andreas Vox helped kick off. It's actually largely working now, though
not spectacularly polished. I just need to fix up the some lingering
build issues and (most importantly) make plugins work properly and I
might be able to put up an early preview .dmg.

I'm on IRC a lot, so it'd be really good if we (Andreas, Martin and I)
could get together at some point and discuss some of this, as I'm
concerned that we're duplicating a lot of work here.

BTW, current 1.3cvs when built for Qt/Mac picks the wrong paths under
MacOS/X for a "normal" install, so it won't find the plugins etc. My
fault I'm afraid. I'll make it use the static paths by default tonight,
and add an --enable-bundle option to configure to generate an executable
suited for inclusion in a .app bundle.

--
Craig Ringer