[Scribus] Different font names Windows/Linux

Eilert eilert-sprachen
Thu Mar 10 09:26:03 CET 2005

Hi folks,

I just saw that some fonts appear under different names in programs
under the Adobe Font Manager and in Linux. I've got two fonts here, one
is Bodoni Book, the other one is New Century Schoolbook, which have
different names:

Windows: "Bodoni Book", "NewCenturySchlbk"
Linux: "Bodoni", "New Century Schoolbook"

In a project I am programming at the moment I had this problem for the
first time. The program uses fonts and reads their names from a file or
writes them into the file. The same file must be usable for Windows
programs, too, so I had to introduce a table of name replacements to
handle this.

Why is that? Does anyone here know about that? Before I stumbled over
this problem, I always wondered when in Linux why some fonts seemed to
be missing. Now I know, they're there, but under different names...

Rolf