[Scribus] Solaris 10 - getting really close

Rainer Heilke rheilke
Mon Mar 7 14:56:37 CET 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 16:08 -0700, Rainer Heilke wrote:
>

>>Greetings, all.
>>
>>I'm not sure what changed in the last little while, but the newest CVS
>>compiles under Solaris 10 SPARC. Thanks, guys! :-)
>>
>>Unfortunately, Scribus core dumps with a Segmentation Fault on start-up.
>>

>Any chance you can get a backtrace from the crash? Knowing exactly where
>it crashed would be really handy.
>
>If you've compiled with --enable-debug, just
>
>$ gdb scribus
>(gdb) run
>
>and when Scribus crashes it'll freeze. At that point, go back to the
>terminal and you should see a message telling you why Scribus crashed
>and when. Type `bt' and press enter. That should result in a whole lot
>of output. If you send both the initial message, and the messages from
>`bt', that would be really handy. Please be sure to compile with
>--enable-debug, since without that the messages are much less useful.
>

>>>From watching the splash screen, this seems to happen when searching for
>>fonts. Running freetype-config gives back 9.7.3, which seems a little
>>odd, but maybe that's what it is supposed to say? I used the 2.1.9
>>package from sunfreeware.com.
>>

>Upgrading freetype can have "interesting" and unexpected results.
>Scribus might be compiling against the new freetype, but getting linked
>against the old one - with a fairly high chance of it going "splat".
>Alternately, it might be linking to the new freetype, but one of the
>libraries it uses may link against an older one - also potentially
>causing some unpleasantness.
>
>I've had relatively few problems with installing a new Freetype on my
>systems when necessary, but I tend to build a new Qt against it too.
>
>I have my Solaris 10 images now, it's just a matter of getting around to
>installing them. I don't suppose Solaris 10 would be compatible with
>Linux's LVM or anything as unexpectedly and spectacularly useful as
>that?

I'll recompile with the debug option, and see what happens. I'll try to
let you know tonight.

I don't know what LVM is, so I can't comment... Solaris 10 has some
great features (like DTrace), but you need to know programming better
than I do. :-(

Rainer