[Scribus] Solaris 10 - getting really close

Craig Ringer craig
Mon Mar 7 07:32:08 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 16:08 -0700, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm not sure what changed in the last little while, but the newest CVS
> compiles under Solaris 10 SPARC. Thanks, guys! :-)
>
> Unfortunately, Scribus core dumps with a Segmentation Fault on start-up.

Any chance you can get a backtrace from the crash? Knowing exactly where
it crashed would be really handy.

If you've compiled with --enable-debug, just

$ gdb scribus
(gdb) run

and when Scribus crashes it'll freeze. At that point, go back to the
terminal and you should see a message telling you why Scribus crashed
and when. Type `bt' and press enter. That should result in a whole lot
of output. If you send both the initial message, and the messages from
`bt', that would be really handy. Please be sure to compile with
--enable-debug, since without that the messages are much less useful.

> >From watching the splash screen, this seems to happen when searching for
> fonts. Running freetype-config gives back 9.7.3, which seems a little
> odd, but maybe that's what it is supposed to say? I used the 2.1.9
> package from sunfreeware.com.

Upgrading freetype can have "interesting" and unexpected results.
Scribus might be compiling against the new freetype, but getting linked
against the old one - with a fairly high chance of it going "splat".
Alternately, it might be linking to the new freetype, but one of the
libraries it uses may link against an older one - also potentially
causing some unpleasantness.

I've had relatively few problems with installing a new Freetype on my
systems when necessary, but I tend to build a new Qt against it too.

I have my Solaris 10 images now, it's just a matter of getting around to
installing them. I don't suppose Solaris 10 would be compatible with
Linux's LVM or anything as unexpectedly and spectacularly useful as
that?

--
Craig Ringer