[Scribus] MacOS native version

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Mar 6 16:20:40 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 19:18 +0100, Andreas Vox wrote:

> Ok, short one first: Fonts. I just commented out the body of
> addXFontpath. Currently I only have Courier/Luxi/Utopia etc
> from /usr/X11R6/bin. Some work needs to be done here.

Fontconfig should take care of that for now. In the medium term I'd like
to look at trying to access fonts via the MacOS/X font apis ... but that
might require things like a carbonized version of freetype that knows
about resource forks.

> No XCode, not even Eclipse. Just Developertools gcc 3.3.3,
> Terminal.app and vi  :-) The app-bundle is just a bunch of files where
> you have to copy your executable to the right position and provide
> some information in an XML-based Info.plist file. I haven't produced
> icons yet, I will use the XCode tool for that.

That's very useful to know.

> > Especially if you can give some more detailed info, especially about
> > how
> > you did the build and where the various libraries are from.
>
> Maybe we can stick to the fink ones for the time beeing and get the
> other stuff right, first?

That sounds sensible.

> >         POSIX/BSD/X11  (unix-style apps, usually console or X11 based)
> Can be mixed with Carbon. I think X11 and Qt/Mac are also based on
> Carbon.

Thankyou. I wasn't aware POSIX/BSD apps could use Carbon ... that's
extremely handy to know. It also eliminates one of my biggest concerns
with a Mac native port - the ability to use Mac-native APIs for font
access, accessing color profiles, etc without having to do some sort of
Objective-C wrapper layer.

> > If you know where I can go to find out more about MacOS/X development
> > and porting from UNIX, that'd be really handy too...
>
> There are developer docs but mainly you can just use gcc/gdb/make etc.
> You just have to read the Apple specific manpages for these tools, eg.
> the special linking options of gcc for Darwin, -framework instead of -I,
> or the fact that you can call gdb on a Mac.app application directly.

Good to know. I was more hoping for a "survial guide for UNIX
developers" though, ie what's different, how to handle issues like
resource forks, .app bundles, the number of different APIs, etc. I'll
have to check out the main dev docs - I had a quick look before but
didn't spot any sort of summary for folks coming from a *nix background.

> You should know that MacOSX is the most popular Unix on earth :-)

I just wish they'd integrate X11 more, so it wasn't the most popular
UNIX-like OS on earth and the only workstation one that encourages users
to avoid X11 ;-)

I like my network transparency.

> * decide if we want to work with 1.2.1 or 1.3cvs

I tend to agree with MrB re using 1.3cvs. While it'd mean a longer lead
time to get a stable, usable build, and more changes happening along the
way, it should mean less duplicated work and merging.

I guess I'll have to finish getting XCode and the dev tools set up on
the eMac at work.

--
Craig Ringer