[Scribus] Mac OS port

Andreas Vox avox
Sat Mar 5 19:48:55 CET 2005

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Please sign me up for the porting/testing effort for the native Aqua
> Scribus.

Great!

> I spent months last year trying to get it to build. Alas, I
> don't know C++ at all,

I'm not that lucky ;-)

> and always had to stop when I ran into the
> screenpaint/X11 calls: just didn't know how to work around them.
>
> I've gotten pretty knowledgable about building and deploying app
> bundles
> from Qt, however: I'm comfortable with Qt/Mac from a build standpoint,
> so I think I can help there.

That's where I'm the newbie.

> It may not be possible to have the ideal binary distribution, which is
> ~ standalone, drag-and-drop app bundle. One can do that if you compile
> Qt
> to be statically linked, rather than dynamically linked.

Are there any binary distributions for Qt? Could we get away with just
bundling
the shared lib?

> One area where we'd have to tread carefully is if the Scribus build
> links to Fink libraries. That complicates matters, for several reasons.
> One, the goal should be to make Scribus as standalone/isolated as
> possible; I don't think that requiring a separate installation of Fink
> should be part of this.

I agree with that.

> Also, the Fink leaders are serious about
> enforcing GPL on their packages: I was warned last year when I asked
> about making an X11 app bundle of Scribus that I'd have to carefully
> document all my steps, make all my source code available, etc. I
> decided
> all that was too complex for me to undertake by myself. If Fink winds
> up
> being part of this equation, then I just want to highlight the due
> diligence that would need to be taken.  Perhaps Martin can provide
> advice on this front.

Good to know. I prefer a standalone installer, but maybe someone else
wants to provide a fink package, also.

> I'm incredibly excited about this: I've been wanting to ditch my
> Microsoft/Adobe toolchain in my publishing business (I publish about 50
> poetry books per year via POD) for some time, but Scribus hasn't been
> quite mature enough for my needs. (I have used it successfully with
> cover design only, so I know that Scribus can handle commercial work,
> but those covers were more work than a comparable version in InDesign
> would be.) With 1.2.1 supporting styled text import, it looks like
> Scribus may have crossed that threshold. And with NeoOffice J running
> natively on the Mac, that and Scribus.app would allow me to ditch X11
> for everything except Gimp.
>
> So, just let me know what I need to do! I can't wait!

Ok, what code base? 1.2.1, 1.2.2cvs or 1.3cvs? (I will only do one!)

Then install Qt/Mac, that will take some time.
In the meantime I'll try to provide a patch for the Scribus makefiles
and sources.

Then apply patch,
configure --enable-mac,
make && make install,