Debian scribus packages, was Re: [Scribus] best OS to keep up with scribus, gscript and inskcape dev...

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex
Fri Mar 4 02:53:15 CET 2005

* Aakin N. Patel <aakin at aakin.net> [2005-03-02 22:26:33 -0500]:

> : > : I really dislike the way Debian package Qt, though I'm sure they have
> : > : their reasons.
> : >
> : > Yah. I've wondered about their pacakge management system myself. It
> : > seems like they break it apart way too far, but since I'm not really
> : > volunteering to correct it, I suppose I can't really say much.
> :
> : I usually really like the way Debian handle packaging - especially the
> : way they package perl and Python modules so conveniently. It's really
> : just Qt ...
>
> I guess I just haven't really figured out the logic behind it.
>
> Sometimes they leave stuff as a massive bundle, sometimes they break it
> all down to the itty bitty lib level. I probably just need to take a
> look at it at some point, and it'll make more sense.
>
> No luck on the compiling on the debian box, by the way. I'll poke at it
> at some other point, I guess... the 1.2 binary package works well
> enough.
>
> 							- Aakin

For the reference of all Scribus users running Debian:

I now have two separate scribus debian packages: scribus and scribus-cvs.
scribus is tracking the current 1.2.x series cvs - that is the package you see
in the main Debian archive. scribus-cvs is an experimental package that is
tracking the 1.3cvs. These two packages can be installed in parallel as the
scribus-cvs is installed into the /usr/local hierarchy. So, you can play with
both branches of scribus development without having to compile anything and
without littering your system. Debian packaging tools will do a splendid job
for you, as always. Please drop by the #scribus IRC channel or email me
privately for the address of my staging repository, which you can add to your
/etc/apt/sources.list for the ultimate apt goodness. I won't post the
repository address on the public mailing list and would like to ask other
people to refrain from doing so as well, but you are welcome to use it to your
heart's content.

Obligatory plug: scribus+debian=rock'n'roll :)

Best wishes,

Oleksandr Moskalenko, Debian maintainer of Scribus packages.

P.S.: There is a hope that scribus-doc and scribus-template packages will get
through the Debian NEW package queue pretty soon, but no guarantee is given.
Please use my staging repository for those as usual for now.