[Scribus] will 1.3 fix things?

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Mar 1 04:44:21 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 19:12 -0800, Luis Hurtiz wrote:
> like lots of linked text frames with fast typing
> /inserting of text in the actual page itself.
>
> fast type of text on long linked text frames.

There are some significant changes planned for how the canvas works, and
how it gets redrawn. Both of those come down at least partly to redraw
issues (text reflow being done during redraw, and unnecessary redraws),
so I'd hope that some improvement would be possible there. How much is
hard to say until the refactoring work and oither changes are done.

I'm not crazy enough to make any strong predictions though, especially
since I'm pressed for time juggling uni and work, and hence unable to
make a personal commitment to address it.

> that's really lacking in the current version and what
> is keeping me from really using it at work.

> My work will involve a periodical production of a
> newspaper with about 110 pages all with link text
> frames and images. mixed.

It's one of the significant things stopping me using Scribus at work
too. I'm in a similar situation to you, working at a 60 - 100 page
weekly newspaper. We juggle a *lot* of text.

> also the layout is of 8 letter size templates that
> flow up and down for compagination, in the actual
> version this makes the text flow really slow.

I've heard others mention that text flowing from a later-numbered page
back to an earlier one makes redraws slower. Is that what you mean? That
seems rather interesting behaviour.

> Also I am going to automate the whole process with the
> scripter api, what do you think this will go once
> 1.3.0 is ready for production??...

I'm not sure I really understand this. The scripter should be working OK
in 1.3.x now. I'd be interested to know if any issues.

The extension script support from 1.2.x is not yet in place (it needs
some porting to the new preferences API etc), but will be as soon as I
get a chance to sit down and bring it forward.

There are also some improvements in support for all pageItem properties
in progress, but they're not complete yet and the interface hasn't been
finalized. If you want to have a play, check out
	getProperty("itemName","propertyName"),
	setProperty("itemName","propertyName",propertyValue) and
	getPropertyNames("itemName")
but be aware that their interface and behaviour may change in the
future.

--
Craig Ringer