[Scribus] Animated Gif Images in Scribus - Possible?

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht
Wed Jun 29 11:43:27 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 29. Juni 2005 04:20 schrieb Ow Mun Heng:
> On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 22:39 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I'm wondering if there's any way to embed animated GIF images into
> > scribus such that the resulting PDF will also be animated. I've seen 1
> > or 2 PDFs which has this feature and I'm trying to determine if It can
> > be done in scribus.
> >
> > If yes, How? Thanks.
>
> Does anyone have any info on this?? Is it possible?

VTeX comes with "fake" support for animated gifs in PDF. The manual and
example file animgif.pdf (animgif.pdf. for example in
ftp://www.dante.de/ctan/systems/vtex/common/vtex-doc.zip, author Michael
Vulis) says

begin quote

Before getting into specifics and examples, it is important to realize that
Gif animation is impossible. There is no support in the Pdf format for
inclusion of animated Gifs; the movie support as provided by Pdf is so
platform-dependant as to be avoided; and the JavaScript support is inadequate
for achieving animation by switching frames via a JavaScript timer. What you
are about to see is really a fake composed of overlapping frames, and made
possible only by the slowness of Pdf rendering. One the positive side, it is
a working fake which is rather easy to use, and which delivers most of what
the users expect from animated Gifs.

end quote

However, this is from 2000, things might have changed since then?

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht